Terms & Conditions
The Service is intended for use by persons who are at least 18 years old. If you are under 18 years of age, you may not use the Service. If you are 18 years of age or older, please ensure that you have never been suspended from the Service and that your use of the Service does not violate any laws or regulations. If you are using the Service on behalf of a company, organization, or other type of entity, you acknowledge to us that you have the authority to bind the entity to these Terms on their behalf.
3. Accounts and Registration
If you use the service, you have the option of registering an account. We recommend that you register an account, as creating an account on the Service will give you access to special features related to participating in online studies (experiments or surveys) or creating your own studies. If you do so, we will ask you to provide us with some personal information as part of the registration process, some of which is required to register the account. You promise that all the information you provide is correct and that you will keep it accurate and up-to-date in the future. We also ask you to provide a password to protect the security of your account. You are responsible for keeping your password secure and confidential. Any activity that occurs under your account is your responsibility. If you ever think that your account may no longer be secure, you must notify us immediately here. You can also reset your password at https://open-lab.online/researcher/forgot or https://open-lab.online/participant/forgot.
4. License to Use the Service
Provided that you continue to comply with these terms, we grant you permission to access the Service for your personal use only. The Service allows you to search, view and download public studies uploaded by Open Lab users ("Studies").
Please note that this license does not include the right to use:
1. Trademarks, logos or marks that appear in Studies
2. Images of people, if they are identifiable in Studies
3. Works of art or authorship appearing in Studies
If you download a study with one of these artworks, you may need permission from the trademark owner or an author, depending on the use of the study. Please contact the creator of the study for more information, and if you are still unsure, you should probably speak to a lawyer who is familiar with these matters.
5. User Content
You are the owner of all your User Content, including any studies you upload to the Site.
• General terms. The Service allows you to upload and publish your studies, as well as written text, images, web links, location information and other content ("User Content"). All User Content that you provide on the Service is owned by you or your licensors. We do not claim ownership of your User Content - it is fully owned by you.
• Limited License. If you publish your Study, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to host, store, transmit, display and distribute (in whole or in part) your User Content on the Site. You acknowledge that we will not pay you for the use of your studies and that your studies will be made available to the public for use without attribution or compensation. If you do not wish to make your studies available to the public, you may still use all the features of the Service without restriction.
• Representations and guarantees. You are solely responsible for your User Content and all consequences of your uploading or posting User Content on the Service. Each time you upload or post User Content, you represent and warrant to us that you have done so:
- You are the creator and owner of the User Content or have all necessary rights from other persons or entities to use your User Content on the Service as provided in this Section and to permit other users to use it; and
- Your User Content (including that used by you, us or other users of the Service) does not and will not infringe or misappropriate any third party rights, including copyrights and other intellectual property rights, privacy rights, rights of publicity or moral rights, or defame, libel or slander anyone. That is, your User Content must be your original work, and you must have the permission of third parties who have rights in the User Content before you upload or publish the User Content on the Service.
• Disclaimer. There is no reasonable way for us to monitor all User Content that is uploaded to or published on the Service, and we have no obligation to you or any other user to monitor, edit or control the User Content that you and other users upload to or publish on the Service. This means that we are not responsible for User Content on the Service and you agree not to make any claims against us based on User Content. Nevertheless, we may remove, edit, search or block User Content from the Service at any time if the User Content violates these Terms or is found to be otherwise offensive. If you use the Service, you will be exposed to User Content from other users, some of which may be insulting, inaccurate or offensive. We may investigate allegations that User Content violates these Terms and in such cases we will determine what action (if any) we take with respect to the User Content in question.
6. Prohibited Conduct
By using the Service, you agree not to do so:
a) Use the Service for illegal purposes or in violation of any law or regulation;
b) Violate or encourage others to violate the rights of others, including the infringement or misappropriation of intellectual property rights
c) Upload, post or publish User Content that is unlawful, libelous, abusive, indecent, profane, indecent, pornographic, harassing, threatening, hateful or otherwise inappropriate;
d) Tampering with the security features of the Service (e.g., disabling or circumventing features to access private studies or User Content or reverse engineering the Service to obtain the source code of the Service);
e) Interfere with our operation of the Service or another user's use of the Service (i.e., not to upload or distribute viruses, adware or spyware, to make unsolicited offers or promotions, to collect personal information about others, or to interfere with the networks or devices we use to provide the Service);
f) Engage in fraudulent activities, such as impersonating another person;
g) Access the Service through bots, spiders, scripts, crawlers, scrapers or other automated tools or applications (other than your web browser or other mobile application that we may publish);
h) Copy the look and feel of the Site or access, download, copy, modify, distribute, perform or use studies to create a similar or competing service or to contribute the studies to an existing similar or competing service;
i) Transfer your rights to use the Service or to view, access or use any Materials; or
j) Try to do one of these things or help someone else do it.
7. Other Companies' Services and Linked Websites
You may find tools on the Service that allow you to send information, including User Content, to other companies' services, such as features that allow you to link your account on the Service to an account on another service (such as Twitter or Facebook, or buttons to like or share other companies' content). If you use these tools, you allow us to send this information to the other companies' services, and you acknowledge that we are not responsible for the other companies' use of this information because we do not control them at all. You may also find links on the Service to other websites that are not operated by us. These websites are also not under our control, so please decide when to leave the Service at your own discretion.
8. Termination of Your Account
If you violate any of these terms, your permission to use the Service automatically terminates. You may cancel your account with the Service by going to https://open-lab.online/account/settings.
10. Modifying these Terms
We may change these terms and conditions with 1 month notice. If and when we do so, we will use reasonable efforts to notify you of the changes. We may make such notices available through a pop-up banner, by sending an email to an email address associated with your account on the Service, or otherwise, and we will notify you when the new version of these Terms takes effect. If you do not accept the new terms we propose, we may immediately terminate your account and terminate your access to the Service. If we have any disputes regarding the Service, they will be resolved in accordance with the version of these Terms in effect at the time the dispute arises.
11. Ownership of the Service
Yury Shevchenko is the owner and operator of the service. All software, visual interfaces, graphics, designs, information and all other elements of the Service (the "Materials") that we provide are protected by intellectual property and other laws. We or our licensors own all of the Materials contained in the Service, and you may not use the Materials except as expressly permitted by these Terms.
12. Disclaimer; No Warranties
We provide the Service and all content available through the Service on an "as is" and "as available" basis, without warranty of any kind, either express or implied. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we expressly disclaim all warranties of any kind, including the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement of third party rights, title and any warranties arising from course of dealing, usage or trade. We do not warrant or represent that the Service will be uninterrupted, secure or free from errors or harmful components, or that we will correct errors or harmful components.
Except as provided in Section 13 below, you use the Service at your own risk and assume all risk for damages resulting from your use of or access to the Service, your interactions with other users of the Service, and the Content available through the Service. Your use of the Service and your access to, use, access, download or otherwise obtain materials or Content through the Service and any related websites or services is at your own discretion and risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your property (including your mobile device used in connection with the Service) or loss of data that results from your use of the Service or from downloading or using the Content.
The law prohibits disclaimers of warranties in some places, and you may have other rights, which may vary depending on where you live. We do not exclude or limit our liability to you in any way if this would be unlawful. In the United Kingdom and the European Union this includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors; for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or for our obligation to provide the Service with reasonable care and skill or for our failure to provide the Service in accordance with the information provided about us or the Service.
14. Consent to Electronic Communication
15. Contact Information
The service is provided by Yury Shevchenko, who is a researcher at the University of Konstanz, Department of Psychology, Chair of Experimental Psychology & Internet Science, Universitätsstraße 10, 78464 Konstanz, Germany. You can reach us by sending letters to our address or by submitting your request here.